Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thunder Cats GOOOOOOOO!!

By the end of my pregnancy, I was beyond ready to have this baby! I started my maternity leave a week earlier than I planned because I was so big and miserable. On 12-12-11, I began my maternity leave and started my over the top nesting phase of my pregnancy. I cooked, I baked, I cleaned. Nothing was ever enough! I had an incredible amount of energy still and wanted to be as active as possible until I went into labor because I heard it speeds up the process. Everything was as usual until Christmas Day. Waking up on Christmas morning was impossible. I felt like I was going to explode from the pressure in my belly and pelvis. We went over to Ryan's parents house and my parents house. My mom noticed I wasn't my chipper self and didn't even bother getting dressed that day (SOOOO not like me!). The next day (my due date) felt like the longest day of my life. Not even a cramp! I was very sad that the baby didn't make his appearance yet (most first time moms don't have their babies before/on the due date) but at the same time, I'm glad he avoided the holidays. For the remainder of the week, I had NO energy and spent almost all day/night sleeping. I'm talking asleep, sound asleep. I believe my body was gearing up for the labor and delivery. The baby was moving around like crazy - more than ever and I thought this would never end!

On Thursday 12-29-11, I went to my weekly doctor appointment where we discussed possible induction if I went passed 1-3-12. I was so disappointed because I wanted a natural birthing experience and induction was the furthest thing from that. The doctor asked if I wanted my membranes stripped to "jump start labor." Of course I said YES!! After the sweep, I felt very crampy and uncomfortable. The doctor said within the next 48 hours, the baby should come. She said I was already dilating to 4cm at that point too. SCARY!

On Friday 12-30-11 around dinner time, I told Ryan that I had a lot of cramping and felt like I wanted to go to the triage center. We jumped in the car and headed to the hospital. When we got to triage, the nurse hooked me up to all the monitors and began watching my contractions. I was having contractions but they were not regular. BUUUMMMMMEEERRRR. She checked to see how dilated I was, still a 4 and told me to walk around the hospital for a couple hours and come back. I didn't want to do that because I was a whale at that point! I asked her how will I know that I'm active labor. She responded, "Trust me, you will know." We laughed as we walked around the hospital but I only made it an hour before wanting to go home. I cried the whole way home (poor Ryan). I wanted it to be over so badly!!

Saturday 12-31-11 around 4am, I woke up to the worse pain I have ever felt. I woke Ryan up by scratching his face (didn't mean to!) and told him I think it was time!! I began tracking my contractions to see if they were 5-1-1 (5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute for 1 hour). My contractions at that point were closer to 2 minutes apart lasting about 90 seconds! This was it!! We gathered all of our things (most in the car from the false alarm the night before), said goodbye to our little angels Basie and Loey and headed out to have our baby boy! On our way, we called our parents and siblings to let them know we were going back in and this was it. We told them to stay put and we would let them know when we got there. We finally arrived at the hospital (Swedish first hill) at 6am after the longest 20 minute drive of my life! Back up to triage we went, me in EXTREME pain. They hooked me to the monitors and discovered that my contractions were right on top of each other. The nurse checked me and said I was almost 7cm dilated!! I was admitted and had to walk to my room down the hall. I could barely walk at this point. The baby had turned and was giving my severe back labor. Once in the room, I couldn't get onto the bed. My legs just weren't working. As said earlier in this blog, I wanted a natural birth. Man, at this point, game over, bring me the drugs!!! I finally got into the bed and the epidural was on its way! After the epidural, life was much better and Ryan said it was like night and day. The nurse checked me again and I was already at 8cm. By this time, our families had arrived and were able to visit me for a little bit. As I was talking to my Mom and Amanda, I told the nurse I didn't feel right. She checked me again (this was like an hour after checking me previously) and said that I was 10cm and ready to push. I looked at her like she was crazy! Like she had the wrong room! While pushing, it was just Ryan, the nurse and me in the room. The lights were off and everything was calm. I was in the zone. Eyes closed and focused. I wanted my prize so badly. After 1.5 hours of pushing, he was here. He wasn't crying. The doctor held this little baby up so I could see him and he looked back at me. The doctor made him cry and the placed him on my chest. At 12:47pm, Cameron Michael Thody was here. Weighing 7 pounds 9.5 ounces and 19 inches long. He was perfect. Ryan cut the cord and they whisked him away to clean him up. I was in shock! I have never been so happy, relieved, proud and scared in my whole life.

In the waiting room, our guests multiplied quickly from our families to our extended families (to our surprise). 29 people were waiting to meet Cameron! After quick visits, we finally were able to relax and enjoy our little bug. I couldn't believe it only took 6 hours of labor and delivery to meet Cam : )

He was an amazing baby right off the bat. Quiet, sweet and ADORABLE! We are so blessed!

Here are a couple pictures of his first day







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You.

Hi everyone! I have recently made a huge decision with my blog.  With the kids away from me during the day most days, it has been increasi...